Thursday, November 20, 2008

CINELLI vintage RARE model stem



Sold: $109.40 including shipping.

Italian made. Cinelli in 26.4/100. This is a very rare model. Not manufactured for long. Colored bits can be interchanged.

The best Cinelli timeline I've found on the web is here at 43Bikes. Mookie hasn't been posting on his blog lately, but the site is certainly a labor of love and worth exploring in great detail.

But this stem isn't included in his timeline. A few minutes on Google Images brought me to a Classic Rendezvous page which ID'd it as a Cinelli XR. Unfortunately, there is no detail about this stem other than that it was "short lived."

From all appearances, it looks like an XA and a 1R mated - the smooth appearance of the 1R, and the rubber insert split of the XA combined in one stem. While I haven't had much trouble with them, many people don't like the wedge clamping device in the 1R, so maybe this was a stop-gap design between the two models?

If I had to guess, I'd say that the XR probably dates from the late 1980s, since it's 26.4mm at the bar, a spec that Cinelli phased out by 1990. Does anyone have further information? Leave a comment and I'll update this post with it.

Update: Jeremy left a comment saying:

There are a few references in the CR archives (link here) to it appearing in ads from 1986. I think you're right that it was the transition model between the 1A and the XA, which came around in '88ish.

I wouldn't think a horizontal cut like that would stand up so well to the perpendicular twisting forces of a bar, but I'm not a mechanical engineer...though one has to wonder if anyone at Cinelli was either. :)

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

There are a few references in the CR archives to it appearing in ads from 1986. I think you're right that it was the transition model between the 1A and the XA, which came around in '88ish.

I wouldn't think a horizontal cut like that would stand up so well to the perpendicular twisting forces of a bar, but I'm not a mechanical engineer...though one has to wonder if anyone at Cinelli was either. :)

seaneee said...

I may be totally wrong, but my understanding of this stem was that is was part of the "budget" stem lines Cinelli introduced in the mid 80's. Alternatives to the 1a, XA and 1r.

For the 1a, it was the 1E, for the XA it was the XE, for the 1R (FWIU) it was the XR.